A federal wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against Eli Lilly and Company, Abbott Laboratories and AbbVie, Inc., the makers of Axion and AndroGel, respectively. The lawsuit was filed by the son of a man who died of a heart attack. This testosterone therapy lawsuit alleges that the man died as a result of using these medications. The lawsuit was filed in the Northern District of Illinois. It seeks the recovery of several different forms of damages. This is just the latest in a growing number of low testosterone wrongful death lawsuits that have been filed across the United States.
According to the complaint that was filed, the man who was allegedly wrongfully killed was 58 years old when he was initially prescribed low testosterone medication. He had no prior health history regarding his heart. In October of 2011, the man began to use AndroGel. In 2012, he switched to Axiom. On April 17, 2012, the man died of a sudden heart attack. This untimely death ultimately prompted the son of the man to file this low-T wrongful death lawsuit.
The complaint makes the following allegations:
- The testosterone medication was defective due to inadequate warnings issued by the defendants.
- These warnings were inadequate because the defendants knew or should have known about the dangers associated with AndroGel and Axiom regarding heart attacks and strokes.
- Despite this direct or implied knowledge of the dangers involved, the defendants continued to aggressively market these medications.
- As a direct result of the marketing of these medications, the man was prescribed these drugs for testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT.
- The man’s fatal heart attack was a result of using both AndroGel and Axiom.
Overall, the complaint accuses the defendants of the following and states the following causes of action:
- Strict liability/failure to warn
- Breach of implied warranty
- Breach of express warranty
- Negligent misrepresentation
- Wrongful death
- Survival action
Finally, the plaintiff is seeking punitive damages to be paid by the defendants should the claim ultimately be decided in his favor.
The Nature of Testosterone Replacement Therapy Lawsuits
If someone is injured or killed because he or she used a defective drug, justice demands that those who supplied that drug or drugs be held accountable. However, many people will recognize the names of those companies involved with this low-T wrongful death lawsuit. These are enormous corporations, and they have the ability to vigorously defend themselves against legal claims that could lead to the paying of damages to consumers who have suffered.
People who suddenly find themselves grieving the loss of a loved one are only at that much more of a disadvantage if they decide to take on these giants alone. If you or someone you love has been harmed as a result of using AndroGel, Axiom or any other drug of this type, contact the testosterone therapy lawyers at Parilman & Associates as soon as possible to schedule a free initial consultation. You can either email the firm or call 800-800-DRUG.